Setting up OneBusAway for an Agency
If you are trying to set up your own instance of OneBusAway, our GitHub is the best place to start. In order to use OneBusAway you will also need:
- GTFS data
- A GTFS-realtime or SIRI feed
- Use GTFS-RT data produced by a CAD/AVL system
- Use TheTransitClock to turn GPS data into GTFS-RT
You may also want to join the developer mailing list.
3rd Party Applications
Independent developers have built many successful tools and demos based on the OneBusAway APIs. Most, if not all, agencies that are currently using OneBusAway have public APIs that developers can access, although some require a free API key to get started. Check the agency’s website or contact form for information on how to get started.
If you are interested in building tools or applications for an agency that does not already have OneBusAway, you may be able to get help setting up a tech demo implementation. Several production deployments of OneBusAway began as demos from independent developers.
- Use one of the existing open APIs to get started with development, for example Puget Sound or MTA.
- Check out the full list of OneBusAway deployments to find other agencies.
OneBusAway is Open Source software, and would not be what it is today without the many contributions from individual developers. Read our developer guide if you are interested in being a part of the community.