Transit Agency Resources
More and more transit agencies are turning to OneBusAway to deliver real-time transit information to their riders. There are many reasons:
- It is open-source software that can be deployed without any license fees.
- The web and mobile web applications are modern, slick, 508/ADA compliant, and easily branded and customized.
- It provides native mobile apps for Android, iOS (iPhone), Windows Phone, and Windows 8/RT.
- It provides enterprise-level features that provide outstanding scalability and reliability (if it can handle New York’s 2.4M riders and 6,000 buses, it can meet your needs, too!)
- It includes rich application programming interfaces (APIs) that enable third-party developers to offer innovative apps to riders, and in-house developers to do custom integration.
- It can leverage simple GPS data feeds and does not require expensive AVL equipment.
- It has the support of a broad community of agencies, universities, developers, and users.
Many transit agencies are deploying OneBusAway using in-house developers, or with the assistance of universities, production firms, or independent developers. Some are hosting the system in-house, while others are leveraging cloud hosting options like Amazon Web Services.
If you’re thinking about OneBusAway as an option for your agency, we have the following suggestions:
- Spend time here on OneBusAway.org to learn as much as you can.
- Try it out – see our list of live OneBusAway deployments.
- Have your in-house technical team visit the OneBusAway page at GitHub (they’ll know what that means.)
- Talk to the transit agencies who already use OneBusAway as their platform for real time customer information.
- Contact one of the universities, transit agencies, commercial, or independent developers who work regularly with the OneBusAway platform.
- Reach out to the OneBusAway community on the onebusaway-developers Google Group.